Tuesday, March 20, 2018

DBTL: ADD/ADHD Awareness

When my daughter was in middle school and high school, she would frustrate me to no end with the way she never seemed able to just settle down and get her homework done.

No, she had to be in her room, with the music on, a book in her lap, her phone in her hand texting her friends, and then a song would come on and she'd be singing, and two hours later she might have gotten 30 minutes worth of work done.

At the time we kidded her about being a spacy blonde.

Then she got to college and was struggling with a full-time classload. A family friend offered to tutor her. This friend will always be one of our guardian angels, because she was the one who recognized the signs of what was really going on and encouraged my daughter to go see the doctor.

Within five minutes with the doctor, my daughter had met so many of the criteria on the checklist that she was diagnosed as ADD/OCD/Anxiety with a touch of Depression. Among the medications she started, she was put on Ritalin. Within the first couple days, she made a comment to me that finally clued me in on what it was like in her brain:

"I feel like I'm only having one conversation with myself instead of eight."

Since then, I have tried to be more patient, and I have been learning more about Attention Deficit Disorder, and now her behaviors make so much more sense to me. They're still frustrating at times, but at least I understand WHY they happen.

So I was glad when this month's awareness theme focused on ADD/ADHD. If you want to find out more about what it's like to live with these disorders, you can read about it here.


As usual, the Digi Blog Train List designers have put together a great collection of items for you. You can collect their kits at:



And now for my offering:



As usual, I tried to find some bits with a little humor and some that can promote some understanding. I hope you are able to use them to scrap about your own struggles with ADD/ADHD or those of someone you love.

See you back here April 10th for the Scrap Designers Blog Train - the theme will be "Pet-astic!"  (Plus I'm planning a surprise based on my own fandom interest.) ;)



9 comments:

  1. Your personal story touched me. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing your story- that is much like mine with my parents, except I wasn't diagnosed until after I struggled through college. :( I had my son tested in elementary school because I knew MY history, and he started exhibiting a lot of the same types of things. Vyvanse since he was 8 and he is an amazing student! Thanks for the word art, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing YOUR story. <3 I'm glad we, as a society, are understanding more about these things...but I'll always feel a little like I failed my child because I didn't take it more seriously sooner. (I know...I know..."I didn't know." But there's still that mom-thing that says, "You SHOULD have known.") :)

      Delete
  3. Thank you for sharing the word art ... so glad that your daughter has been able to get the help she needs. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank You so much! I love those shiny things too LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. I’d recommend using Dr. Utu Herbal Cure topically for instant pain and itch relief as well as accelerated healing of lesions and permanently stopping oral and genital herpes virus outbreaks. I have tried just about everything from acyclovir suppressive therapy to different natural oils, extracts, and other natural methods, some of which are EXTREMELY painful and exacerbate the problem (i.e. apple cider vinegar!). While vitamin E oil and suppressive therapy worked well for me, when I became pregnant I went back to trying to find a herbal cure. I was using vitamin E oil topically for a while but it was thin and difficult to use and only seemed to prevent further outbreaks rather than getting rid of it. I contacted Dr. Utu Herbal Cure through my friend. To my surprise, I could tell my outbreak was starting to heal within only a few hours! No more itching or pain! Dr. Utu Herbal Cure that I used was liquid herbs in bottles, so it was very easy to use. It simply whiffs, but it works so I don’t care! The best part is I successfully delivered a herpes-free beautiful daughter without further medication. Anyone who’s tried Dr. Utu Herbal Cure knows just how fast those remedies can add up. So give it a try! Anyone can reach Dr. Utu through
    drutuherbalcure@gmail.com
    +2349072733661

    ReplyDelete